St. Patrick’s Island is an island in the Bow River at the confluence with the Elbow River. The park went through a major renovation as part of a revitalization of Calgary’s East Village, a residential neighbourhood at the edge of downtown.
The confluence has special significance for the Blackfoot people as the site of one of their creation stories. The south bank of the river is also the location of the North West Mounted Police post, built in 1875. The contractor consultation with Siksika Elders helped to provide an appropriate name for the sign location, and to ensure that the stories are told correctly. All of the signs include Blackfoot species names instead of Latin, as a way of encouraging visitors to think different ways of understanding the natural world.